A university for a changing world
When Brunel was awarded its Royal Charter in 1966 we were given a distinct purpose and an incredible opportunity. The campus was to be the home of technological education, championing innovation and advancement, and giving the UK the knowledge base it needed to compete on the international stage.
We conceived a brand of education, and later research, which was overwhelmingly geared towards the needs of industry and, echoing the spirit and vision of our namesake Isambard Kingdom Brunel, we did so with flair and rigour. Our ambition was to equip students for the world of work and to address society’s challenges on a global scale.
The challenges have changed, but our aims are as innovative and ambitious as they always were – to develop research and educational programmes informed by, and tailor-made for, those who benefit; and to give students the academic education and personal skills needed to become a success in the real world.
This publication identifies five distinct areas of focus – each of which underpins our vision until 2030. It recognises the values upon which Brunel’s success is founded. And, though our strategy as educators and innovators will change in the intervening years, these goals, values, and vision will remain at the heart of everything we do and the driving force behind our future achievements, ensuring Brunel continues to meet the needs of a changing world until 2030 and beyond.
Our vision for Brunel University London
We will strengthen our position as a leading multidisciplinary research-intensive technology university delivering economic, social and cultural benefit. Excellence, innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit will be at the heart of everything we do.
True to the words of our Royal Charter, we will continue to lead and innovate with new models of research, education and knowledge transfer, placing the needs of society at the heart of our academic activity
- We will build on our heritage of working closely with businesses, governments and the not-for-profit sector to fulfil our mission
- We will establish strategic partnerships and commercial ventures to strengthen our position and support the University’s long-term sustainability
- We will be at the pinnacle of technology universities in the UK and firmly established in the top tier internationally of this special group of institutions
- Our success will be a tribute to our students and staff, who will share this vision and work as one to achieve it
To bring benefit to society through excellence in education, research, and knowledge transfer.
- Open and honest: We work to high ethical standards and are transparent in our dealings and decisions
- Fair and inclusive: We treat everyone with dignity and respect; we all have the same opportunity to succeed
- Determined: We are purposeful and agile in a changing world and work in innovative ways to achieve our goals
- Focused on excellence: We always aim to achieve the best and we value and reward excellence
Photo by Green Chameleon on Unsplash
UB8 3PN Uxbridge, Inglismaa, Suurbritannia